During a health setback, one of the most significant decisions to make is where to recover. While rehabilitation centers and hospitals are viable options, recovering at home often holds its own set of unique advantages. Wondering what the benefits of recovering at home are and why you should pursue this option for a loved one? Read on to see the benefits available to families in Northern Colorado.
- Comfort and familiarity. Recovering at home allows individuals to enjoy the comfort of familiar surroundings. It can provide a sense of safety, security, and emotional well-being, all of which are critical to the healing process. As small as it seems, the comfort of one’s own bed, favorite chair or cozy blanket can actually contribute to a quicker and smoother recovery.
- Care and support around the corner. When they’re at home, individuals can enjoy more support from their loved ones. Family members and friends can drop off meals, help with daily tasks or medication management, and come by to say hello more easily than if someone was in a hospital. Having this strong support system in place can boost motivation, positivity and the overall recovery progress.
- Maintained independence. Recovering at home helps individuals maintain a level of independence that might not be possible in a medical facility. Being able to manage daily routines, make choices about meals, and engage in personal activities promotes a sense of control and self-esteem.
- Reduced risk of infection. While crucial for acute medical care, hospitals and rehabilitation centers can expose patients to infections. Recovering at home reduces this risk since individuals are in a controlled environment with less exposure to potential pathogens.
- Reduced risk of falls. The familiarity of one’s home can help reduce the risk of falling during recovery. Individuals know where steps are, where furniture is placed and where helpful handrails or supports are located. They have extensive experience walking the halls and floors, which means they’re less likely to trip or stumble over unfamiliar objects. To help even more, family members can remove any potential hazards (like extension cords or upturned rug corners) from someone’s home before they return.
- Flexibility in the recovery routine. Recovering at home provides the flexibility to design a recovery routine that fits into the individual’s schedule and preferences. If they enjoy exercise or meditation first thing in the morning, a skilled nurse can adapt the day’s schedule around that. Patients can engage in rehabilitation exercises, therapies, and other recovery activities at the times that suit them best, instead of adhering to a medical facility’s schedule.
- Cost effectiveness. In many cases, recovering at home can be more cost effective than staying in a rehabilitation center or hospital. Medical expenses, accommodation fees and other related costs can add up during an extended stay at a healthcare facility. Recovering at home involves fewer additional expenses, often making it a more affordable option.
While there are countless benefits of recovering at home, the decision should ultimately be made based on the individual’s specific circumstances, preferences and the guidance of healthcare professionals. If home healthcare is the right route for you or a loved one, Boost Home Healthcare in Northern Colorado is here to help. We offer:
- Skilled nursing
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Social services
- Certified Home Health Aide (CHHA)
- Medical Social Worker
- In-home private nursing
- Private duty nursing
- Infusion therapy
*Services may vary by state and license.
Get a boost from care near you.